Thursday, 22 May 2008

22/05/08 - Making the most of your training


Now, today I'm meant to be revising for my 3 hour Politics exam in the morning; as you all know, I'd much rather publish some thoughts about BJJ on this here world wide web.

I'm a very lucky person in that i go to college 5 days a week, 9-4; and i get free time in the middle of that. I've also got no outside commitments, so I'm in the lucky position of being able to train pretty much whenever i want. A lot of guys reading this won't have that pleasure.

That's why we should make the most of our time on the mats.

It's all very well to go through training on autopilot, just letting the moves settle into your brain and really turn on when you're sparring, yet you're still only fighting to win.

This is the problem that most newcomers to the sport are faced with, from what I've seen. There's a terrific amount of ego that comes with every fresh-faced newcomer, and the quicker you learn that it's not about your W/L record in the gym, the better.

As a club, i think we're lucky in that all of the regular guys don't have this issue; we all tend to care only about progression, and that's a great thing for a gym to have.

But as a note to all of you out there in Internet-Land, remember that there's something to be learned from the concept of goal-setting.

Goals are aspirations within reach; both short term and long term. If you are serious about your training, i recommend that you make a goal for each and every time you spar and train.

Specific training is just that, and it happens in pretty much every class; light "sparring" from specific positions in the quickest way to learn the ins and outs of attacks and escapes. The term "specific" doesn't only apply to training, it can apply to goals as well.

I'm not talking about goals like "I'm gonna win my next 3 rolls" or "I want to not get put on my back", but goals like "I want to hit the old school sweep from the Lockdown" or "i want to catch a sweep from the Z-guard".

This is just a tip from a lowly white belt; the more you set SPECIFIC goals regularly, the more you'll notice an improvement.

No comments: