Thursday, 19 June 2008

19/06/08 - Muay Thai Class


Paul was back teaching tonight, and to be honest it was a sodding good class.

Started with some shadowboxing as normal, then the thai pads came out. I'm not the biggest fan of these, but i'm getting better. The round kick/knee from the same leg combination didn't tire me too badly tonight, so it was good.

10 on each side of those, and 10 on each side of round kick, front kick. Got the blood pumping.

Then some shoulder-to-shoulder stuff, i'm getting better at this, i'm tending to favour body shots as i come away, which is my general strategy anyway. It was okay, but, to be honest, i really need to work on the close range striking, my grappling instinct really takes over and i find myself thinking takedown.

Then some clinch work. More close range stuff! It's what i want to work on, so tonight i was thankful. Starting off the defense to the jab-cross, the active guy moves his head into the opponents chest, keeping control of both arms to avoid the thai clinch, before moving into it himself. It was then the job of the opponent to break out of this using any of the breaks we have been doing. This was good, I did feel as if pushing the head off with one hand as a defense would work best for me.

Then some conditioning. Call me insane, but i acutally love getting my legs "conditioned". Taking a few leg kicks at varying power is interesting, and it's the best thing to get your resistance up before active competition. Since i'm thinking about Amatuer MMA, lord knows that i'll take a few there.

And to warm us down, the stretching. It's getting better, less "crazy" stretches tonight, and i think this is actually helping my flexibility. Infact, i'm even looking at Rubber Guard stuff... more on that tomorrow, perhaps..

Until then,

Train hard, kids!

No comments: