Monday, 30 June 2008

30/06/08 - BJJ Class

The BJJ class tonight was once again focused on the x-guard, and i feel we're coming towards the end of this series of techniques, as we've pretty much covered a technique from every area.

Tonight, Lee showed a setup from the halfguard, transitioning to what i call deep half guard (possibly incorrectly) then setting it up the X from there.

Honestly, i can see myself using this, but not as much as a couple of the other x-guard techniques we have learned.

The technique from the mount, in my view, was the highlight of the night, although in competition it will NOT be as effective; when the adrenaline's flowing i think it will be hard to pull off. Pushing the guy's hips up, and swinging in to gain the x-guard from the bottom may sound like a mean feat, but it's not, however i think it could easily be more difficult in a hardcore competition scenario.

After this, we were then given the opportunity to drill any or all of the x-guard or "braulio guard" techniques we've been doing.

I chose to continue to drill the entry from standup, which i feel is my most successful entry to the position, and my sweep when the opponent postures is becoming increasingly effective.

Pass-the-guard drill wasn't amazing for me tonight, for no particular reason i feel, other than the fact that that i made some simple mistakes, that the high-level guys like Tom and Jason are quick to pounce on; that's a great way to train, if you make no mistakes in training, you won't when you get out in competition.

After this, Lee talked to us about the concept of relaxation within the art, with a particular focus on improved longevity over time.

Training at 100% does nothing for either your body, or, in my view, most importantly your mind.

I think every white belt has been in this situation to start with, when you feel at 100% you feel like you've given it your best, but then you're fatigued, bruised and lethargic for 2 or 3 days after.

I remember after my first lesson, my cardio was so horrific that i was literally ready to drop after doing the techniques in isolation. Since i hadn't done PE at school because of health issues, my fitness was pretty poor. But training at 100% made me feel even worse. I had an overwhelming feeling of fatigue for 2 to 3 days afterwards, and whilst at first it was novel, the "high" point of this feeling soon wore off.



The point here being that training at 50-60% in a TRAINING situation is for the best; you both learn more, the pace isn't as fast, and it allows you to truly shine as a martial artist. Especially for newer guys; you wouldn't get behind the wheels of a Lambourghini and get up to 120 at some ungodly rate of acceleration if you hadn't driven before, would you?

Well, you could, but the result wouldn't be pretty. I think this illustrates the point well.

Sparring tonight was good, i sparred a little with Steve Boughey, trying not to overdo it tonight. It was a particularly hot session, and i'm sure nobody could honestly say the heat didn't make them less energetic, particularly after a heavy Muay Thai session.

I'm detemined to work my guard game, particularly Closed, Rubber (when i can get it) and X-guard; i'm working them all, and i'm liking my omoplata game at the moment. In all honesty though, the next two weeks, i want my game to go back to basics. I'll write about this in a new entry tomorrow.

Anyway, no training again until Thursday, but i'm sure you'll hear from me before then.

Until then,

train hard, kids!

No comments: